Monday 8 April 2013

Lentil Burgers with Homemade Aioli (Garlic Mayo)

I swear that lentils are classically synonymous with veganism. Like people think of vegan food, they think of lentils. Lentils or couscous. I can't tell you the amount of times I've asked for a vegan dish at a restaurant and they bring me peppers stuffed with couscous. I don't even really like couscous- it's boring! I barely ever use lentils either. But today I became the stereotype and made a glorious lentil based meal! May have to use them more often :)

So I bring to you: lentil, sweetcorn and carrot burger with garlic mayo! 

Burger Recipe:

Ingredients:

Two handfuls uncooked red lentils
Two tbsp sweetcorn
One grated carrot 
One small onion
One tsp garam masala (or whatever spice you wish to use)
Pinch of salt
One tsp vegetable stock powder
Dried herbs
Oil
One tbsp cornflour

Method:

Preheat the oven to 200c.

Firstly boil the lentils until they are a bit mushy. I just microwaved them in boiling water for 6 mins. 

Chop the onion finely and fry in the oil until soft. Add in everything else, including the lentils but not the cornflour, and cook for a further 5 mins. Turn off the heat and stir in the cornflour thoroughly.

Blob onto oiled baking parchment and shape into patties using a spoon or your hands.


Put in the oven for 15 mins, flip em over and then give them another 15 mins.

While they are cooking, make this garlic mayo!

This was mine: (mm what an attractive pic...)


I served with mixed veg, mushrooms (chucked them in with the burgers in the last 5 mins), fresh tomato, coriander, pickled peppers, aioli and my mothers DELICIOUS home made chutney :) 

So in other words, "can I have my veggie burgers with some veg, a bit more veg and some more veg please?"

Mother's chutney:
Fresh out the oven:
Yum yum!





2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. For dinner I had curried carrot, lentil and rice stew. Maybe I can learn to be a lentil lover too!? :)

      Delete